Emergency Squad, INC. was chartered in 1947 as a Not-for-profit corporation and
received no funding from the town; this remains true today. There were fewer
than a dozen original charter members.
original ambulance was a funeral home hearse that was garaged at the north end
of Champlain Avenue in the back of a bank. A lot of the members worked at International Paper Company, and would
answer calls from work. The Squad covered a large area ranging from Tongue
Mountain to Port Henry, and would also transport critically ill or injured
patients to hospitals in Glens Falls and Albany without the benefit of the
the late 1960's there were big changes with the implementation of the U.S. DOT
EMT training program. The Ticonderoga Emergency Squad became one of the first to
start staffing it's ambulances with EMTs trained in new lifesaving techniques.
The ambulances became better equipped with new devices that gave EMTs the
ability to provide near Emergency Room services to patients.
the late 60's the Squad added two more ambulances to their fleet, with a total
of three which today include two box style vehicles, and a van type. All the
ambulances are certified by the New York State Department of Health and proudly
bear the certification sticker.
New York State Department of Health, the Mountain Lakes Regional EMS Council and
a local medical director provide mandated oversight of the organization and its
members which include EMT's, and Advanced Life Support
2010 the Squad began its campaign for a new home. With the help of the community and many
dedicated members, the project is now well underway. The new location will be at the Portage and
Champlain Avenue intersection. The
project has a projected completion date of December 2011.